Bring history to life by integrating authentic primary sources that stand out against the normal backdrop of textbooks. This series features fact-checked, historically accurate primary sources that provide students with a comprehensive understanding of historical events while saving teachers' valuable prep time. Exploring Primary Sources: Colonial America Kit explores the early history of the United States by examining the lives of significant people and events from that time.
With a focus on inquiry-based learning and increased rigor, this kit prompts students to naturally begin to use critical thinking to delve deeply into analyzing historical events while considering multiple points of view. The well-organized lessons are easy to implement while meeting standards such as the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), WIDA/TESOL, McREL, and the C3 Framework.
Exploring Primary Sources: Colonial America Kit includes:
- Eight Primary Source Cards:
- Portrait of Pocahontas
- Lithograph of the Pilgrims' arrival at Plymouth
- Title page of Phyllis Wheatley's book of poems
- And more...
- Eight Primary Source Reproductions:
- Salem Witch Trial diary entries
- Slave auction signs
- 1612 Chesapeake Bay region map
- And more...
- Teacher's guide including lesson plans, student activities, and document-based assessments
- Digital resources including digital versions of the primary sources, student reproducibles, and more than 50 additional primary sources