Bring history to life by integrating authentic primary sources that stand out against the normal backdrop of textbooks. This series features fact-checked, historically accurate primary sources that provide students with a comprehensive understanding of historical events while saving teachers' valuable prep time. Exploring Primary Sources: Exploration Kit engages students in understanding early America and the period of exploration by examining the lives of significant people and events from that time.
With a focus on inquiry-based learning and increased rigor, this kit prompts students to naturally begin to use critical thinking to delve deeply into analyzing historical events while considering multiple points of view. The well-organized lessons are easy to implement while meeting standards such as the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), WIDA/TESOL, McREL, and the C3 Framework.
Exploring Primary Sources: Exploration Kit includes:
- Eight Primary Source Cards:
- Drawing of Magellan's ship, Victoria
- Photograph of a reconstructed Viking ship
- Drawing of Captain James Cook
- And more...
- Eight Primary Source Reproductions:
- Claudius Ptolemy's map of the world
- Letter from Ponce de León to King Charles V
- Painting of a tribute giraffe given to the Yongle Emperor
- And more...
- Teacher's guide including lesson plans, student activities, and document-based assessments
- Digital resources including digital versions of the primary sources, student reproducibles, and more than 50 additional primary sources