This item is estimated to be available in October 2019. Please contact customer service at 800-858-7339 to pre-order.
Bring history to life by integrating authentic primary sources that stand out against the normal backdrop of textbooks. This series features fact-checked, historically accurate primary sources that provide students with a comprehensive understanding of historical events while saving teachers' valuable prep time. Exploring Primary Sources: Westward Expansion Kit explores westward expansion in the United States by examining significant people and events from that time.
With a focus on inquiry-based learning and increased rigor, this kit prompts students to naturally begin to use critical thinking to delve deeply into analyzing historical events while considering multiple points of view. The well-organized lessons are easy to implement while meeting standards such as the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), WIDA/TESOL, McREL, and the C3 Framework.
Exploring Primary Sources: Westward Expansion Kit includes:
- Eight Primary Source Cards:
- Oregon Trail map
- Stereograph of a cowboy on a cattle drive
- Photograph of the Golden Spike ceremony
- And more...
- Eight Primary Source Reproductions:
- Letter from Narcissa Whitman
- Homestead Act of 1862
- Wanted poster for the James brothers
- And more...
- Teacher's guide including lesson plans, student activities, and document-based assessments
- Digital resources including digital versions of the primary sources, student reproducibles, and more than 50 additional primary sources