Students will explore the history of westward expansion with this engaging nonfiction reader. With the Settling and Unsettling the West
e-Book, students will examine some of the reasons why people were heading out west, including the gold and silver rushes and the Homestead Act. This informational text also focuses on the westward routes pioneer travelers took, including the Oregon Trail, the Santa Fe Trail, the Mormon Trail, and the California Trail. Breathe life into the pages of history with primary source documents that offer significant clues on what life might have been like for the early settlers in the 1800s.
- Students will build content knowledge across geography, history, and other social studies strands
- Content can be leveled for a variety of learning styles, as well as below-level, above-level, and English language learners
- This reader contains text features, including captions, bold print, glossary, and index to increase comprehension and academic vocabulary
- A "Your Turn!" activity continues to challenge students as they extend their learning
- This text readies students for college and career readiness