Build social studies content-area literacy by integrating dynamic primary sources into the classroom! This comprehensive kit uses original documents, maps, photographs, and other materials to engage students in learning about the ways the United States has changed over centuries. These authentic resources will capture students' curiosity about the past and promote critical thinking as they study past and present American holidays, cities, national parks, presidents, and more!
Primary Sources: My Country Then and Now Kit includes:
- Eight Photograph Cards:
- Yellowstone National Park in the 1890s and the crowded park today
- Betsy Ross showing the first flag design to colonial leaders and the United States Capitol surrounded by flags today
- President Abraham Lincoln and the Lincoln Memorial
- And more
- Eight Primary Sources:
- Warning sign about bison from Yellowstone National Park
- Original score of "The Star Spangled Banner"
- Artifacts in Lincoln's pocket at his death
- And more
- Teacher's Guide including lesson plans, student activities, and document-based assessments
- Digital resources including copies of all photographs and primary sources, student reproducibles and additional primary sources