The Complete Guide to Service Learning
Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, & Social Action
Grade PK and Up
Trim Size 8.5" x 11"
Page Count 288
The Complete Guide to Service Learning is the go-to resource in the fast-growing field of service learning. It is an award-winning treasury of service activities, community service project ideas, quotes, reflections, and resources that can help teachers and youth workers engage young hearts and minds in reaching out and giving back. Author and internationally known service learning expert Cathryn Berger Kaye presents service learning—its importance, steps, essential elements, and challenges—within a curricular context and organized by theme. This second edition maintains the easy-to-use format of the original and is enhanced with updated information on service learning programs and pedagogy.
- A blueprint for service learning, from getting started to assessing the experience
- Integration of K–12 service learning standards
- Inspiring quotations, background information and resources, preparation activities, real-life examples, and community service project ideas that have worked for other teachers
- 13 thematic chapters covering topics commonly selected for service learning projects such as animal protection and care, elders, emergency readiness, the environment, hunger and homelessness, literacy, special needs, and more
- Hundreds of real-life field-tested service learning projects
- Ideas for fortifying service learning programs by incorporating global literacy and creating a culture of service
The online digital content has over 200 pages of forms and bonus materials and includes:
- All of the planning and tracking forms from the book, many customizable
- 39 sample planning templates for all service learning themes at each grade level
- 10 original essays written by experts in the field
- 22 author interviews, including interviews with authors Laurie David, Cynthia Lord, Jordan Sonnenblick, Kathe Koja, Danica Novgorodoff, Janet Tashjian, Deborah Ellis, Sonia Levitin, Ellen Senisi, and more!
- More than 300 additional “Bookshelf” recommendations that describe books that offer teachable moments about community service, responsibility, caring, and helping, as well as ways to encourage discussion and combine literature and service learning.
Drawing on her years as a classroom teacher and international service learning consultant, trainer, speaker, and program developer, Cathryn Berger Kaye tells you everything you want and need to know about service learning. Recommended for K–12 teachers and administrators, college and university faculty, youth group leaders, government agencies and nonprofits, and after-school programs.
Teachers, parents, and group leaders: Use this valuable resource in a classroom or youth-serving organization, after-school program, or as a family.
Praise for The Complete Guide to Service Learning
“How can teachers begin or support a service learning program in their classroom or school? What role does [it] play in the curriculum? What are the true benefits to society and to students? . . . Kaye answers these questions and more.”—Curriculum Connections
“If there is a bible of K–12 service learning, it is Cathryn Berger Kaye’s The Complete Guide to Service Learning.”—Youth Service California
“The Complete Guide to Service Learning has been my go-to resource for sharing ideas with our partner organizations and with anyone who says, ‘Tell me about service learning.’ Rich in information, ideas, and practical suggestions, this guide inspires and reminds me how important our youth are and what valuable contributors they can be. Cathryn’s book brings learning and service to life.”—Elaine Leibsohn, America’s Promise Alliance
Praise for the previous edition
“An informative book for those interested in creating or overseeing service-learning programs.”—Youth Today
“A wonderful step-by-step guide with handy tips and practical advice. An outstanding resource, a must-have.”—VOYA
“A rich resource.”—Library Media Connection
- Free Downloads
- Research and Evidence Base
- Reading Levels
- Additional Resources
In this section you can find reviews from our customers, or you can add your own review for this particular product.
Customer reviews help other visitors to read feedback from users who have already purchased and are using TCM’s products.
June 11, 2019
I use the book a lot when talking to teachers about service learning. Includes a clear definition and tools to help teachers get the ball rolling.