Bring history to life by integrating authentic primary sources that stand out against the normal backdrop of textbooks. This series features fact-checked, historically accurate primary sources that provide students with a comprehensive understanding of historical events while saving teachers' valuable prep time. Exploring Primary Sources: Civil War Kit explores study the history of the United States by examining the lives of important people and events of the Civil War.
With a focus on inquiry-based learning and increased rigor, this kit prompts students to naturally begin to use critical thinking to delve deeply into analyzing historical events while considering multiple points of view. The well-organized lessons are easy to implement while meeting standards such as the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), WIDA/TESOL, McREL, and the C3 Framework.
Exploring Primary Sources: Civil War Kit includes:
- Eight Primary Source Cards:
- Photograph of Robert E. Lee
- Photograph of black soldiers gathering the dead for burial
- Painting of the Battle of Glorieta Pass
- And more...
- Eight Primary Source Reproductions:
- Newspaper reviews of Uncle Tom's Cabin
- 1860 election poster for Abraham Lincoln
- Letter from a Northern soldier to his sister
- And more...
- Teacher's guide including lesson plans, student activities, and document-based assessments
- Digital resources including digital versions of the primary sources, student reproducibles, and more than 50 additional primary sources